During two Ubuntu 14.04 upgrades, both on a Mac (so needing an EFI boot), grub was borked
after the install resulting in a
grub rescue prompt when booting.
The actual error was
error: symbol 'grub_term_highlight_color' not found.
Needless to say I couldn’t get the system to boot from this prompt.
I had a Fedora boot USB stick laying around, but using that did not really fix the problem, in any
case I could use it to copy off
/home if I could not rescue the system.
HOWEVER, the following procedure worked great!
- Download super grub disk;
- 1.4 MB download!
- Copy it to an USB stick:
dd if=super_grub_disk_hybrid-1.98s1.iso of=/dev/sdb;
- Boot from this USB stick;
- In the boot menu, choose detect OSs;
- Boot you newly minted, unbootable, Ubuntu 14.04;
- If all goes well it should boot Ubuntu and you can log in;
- Install and use boot repair;
- If you use EFI, check this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI.