So you want to (ab)use the DNS for your usecase?
Here are some do’s and dont’s. For those inclined here is some background documentation on this subject:
- Invent your own new TLDs. If you must, use something like
.home, or use a domain that you actually own;
- Use the
TXTRR to cram it with your stuff (like the
- Store large data blobs in the DNS;
- Use a new DNS class.
- Reuse existing RR types, there are some weird ones out there that might suite
your use case, like
NAPTR, or the well supported
- Register a new RR type if you think you’ll need one. Fill out the template detailing the new RR.
- Store small data blobs in the DNS. Let them point to services where you can retrieve the data you’ll need.