If its not backed up, its gone!
Unmaintained! I'm using rdup nowadays. But
hdupis a mature/stable program, so be free to use it
hdup in rdup
I've tried to write up why I think
rdup is a better tool; I can rewrite
this blog post
what is it?
Hdup2 is a backup utilty, it's aim is to make backup really simple. The backup
scheduling is done by means of a cronjob. Is supports a include/exclude mechanism,
remote backups, encrypted backups and split backups (called chunks) to allow
easy burning to CD/DVD.
- simple to use,
- small and versatile backup program,
- support for incremental backups,
- support for backups over the network (with ssh),
- support for network restore (with ssh),
- support for encrypted backups (using mcrypt, gnupg),
- support for split up archives (called chunks),
- support for .nobackup files (to exclude certain directories),
- flexible regular expression based include/exclude mechanism,
- designed to be run from cron.
- You need a Gnu tar version > 1.3.25
Hdup should run and compile on all Unixes out there. It does depend on Gnu tar for the backups. It also needs glib-dev if you compile it yourself. Also for building it you need Gnu Make.
You'll also need a recent tar version. Anything after 1.3.25 should work. Newer is better.
The scheme implemented by hdup2 is sometimes called the Grandfather-Father-Son scheme, Hdup just calls it: monthly-weekly-daily. Using this scheme it is wise to keep your backups for a minimum of one month.
Version: 2.0.14 (released 10 December 2005)
This is a bug fix release.
- bugfix release - * bug #3: when adding a file to the filelist also use NULL as a delimeter, not a newline. (Thanks to Chad Sawatzky for reporting) * Overhauled the tarball making. It's now distributed as hdup2-
.tar.bz2 and unpacks in hdup- / directory.
Sources of hdup:
- tar.bz2 source (sha1: 70daa73147172037ca91a32ce1fd4a8d50d07172)
- Released: 16 Nov '04: first 2.0 release: 2.0.1.
- Released: 22 Dec '04: working 2.0: 2.0.3
- Released: 06 Jan '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.4 (...)
- Released: 19 Jan '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.5 (...)
- Released: 02 Feb '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.6 (...)
- Released: 18 Mar '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.7 (...)
- Released: 22 Jun '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.8 (minor bugfixes)
- Released: 04 Jul '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.9 (major bugfixes)
- Released: 06 Aug '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.10 (minor bugfixes)
- Released: 30 Sep '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.11 (bugfixes/features)
- Released: 02 Oct '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.12 (minor bugfixes)
- Released: 26 Nov '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.13 (updates in the restores code)
- Released: 10 Dec '05: 2.0 update: 2.0.14 (minor bugfix)
- To be released: future bug fix updates for 2.0.x (these releases are scheduled to take place once a month (if needed))
- Split up hdup in hdup-dump and hdup-restore?
- i18n for hdup's output?